Sunday, February 6, 2011

This is my first watercolour from my Imaginary Trip To Ireland: I have a lot to learn!!

I bought a couple of books to encourage me to start carrying a sketchbook with me. An Illustrated Life by Danny Gregory and Drawing Lab for Mixed-Media Artists by Carla Sonheim. I find I have a real block to sketching - most of my art actually but sketching is a big one. I have no confidence in my ability and I find when I am out I don't know what to sketch. I really want to move past this and I think Imaginary Trip to Ireland might help me with this. We are learning to edit what we see and just sketch the most important parts. Self-confidence really is the key to success and any parent or teacher who can instill this in their children will give them the greatest gift possible. Also, I find the city is not very inspiring to me and feel I have shut myself down a lot because of the noise and crowds. I do so long for the country where you can hear birds sing and see flowers and the sky. However, I am here and I will search for things to sketch and move myself through this frustrating block.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, don't worry, you're not the only one! I don't even quite understand the differences between sketching and drawing. Right now everything to me is about fine drawing.

    You know - got all the proportion, light and shadow right etc. Hence I was amazed when the other day I read from a painter that he does a lot of 3 mins figure sketch. I was horrified by the idea of one must be able to do super quick sketch! ;)

    To overcome this, I just joined a Sketching online class to understand and learn it.

    Anyway, as you said, confidence is important but what makes up confidence is the willingness to make mistake til we get the hang of it.

    You're doing very well and I'm very sure soon you'll become a very good sketcher!

    Keep going ... ! :)

    ReplyDelete